Monday, February 21, 2011

Vintage Formica Kitchen Table

The origin of violence

Thank Carolina for giving me this book Fabrice Humbert. He had been viewed by the entire blogosphere, praised right, left. And indeed, it was blocking me. I did not read it.
The title does not appeal to me. Concentration camps, I had heard too. Family stories with lies and unspoken, I'm tired.
And yet I loved this novel. Just open, I could not let go.
strange discovery of a teacher in class trip to Buchenwald: a photo of his father a showcase. A closer look, it can not be his father. Then began a search of family history, a sifting of all tracks that could explain this improbable find. Quest to better understand the latent violence of the narrator's quest to find a stranger soon became central quest to discover an explanation of family relationships.
The second part, meanwhile, is rather the consequence of these discoveries. How to talk to a grandfather who is not really his? How sublime love a German who has the misfortune of being the daughter of a Nazi?
If I had a hard time with the party that traces of camp life and the relationship with Sophie, I was completely charmed by the relationship with Adrian and Marcel. The writing is very fluid and enjoyable. And then resume the search for the origins of evil and violence, after all the texts of the twentieth century on the subject, it punchy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment